Re: [Nautilus-list] Results of MIT usability testing

At 4:34 PM -0800 3/1/2001, John Sullivan wrote:
>It's always great to read through usability test results.
>
>I found the notes on this page particularly interesting, and highly
>recommend that all Nautilus developers read them carefully:
>
>http://web.mit.edu/aui/notebook/beland-usability-notes.txt
>

>A couple things about this one confused me though. Maybe somebody can
>explain these?
>
>In the summary it says
>
>    Avoid backward metaphors such as popup menus as
>    opposed to dropdown menus
>
>I see no other reference to this in the test results. Is this a complaint
>about terminology (if so, where does this terminology appear?), or is
>something working in an unexpected way? (Note that the next sentence of the
>summary says "Don't allow important information to be covered by popup
>windows/menus/...", which seems to imply that "popup" is the standard
>terminology.)

It's not terminology, it is the actual action that people had trouble with.
(I too should watch my language, I guess)  the left panel window shade that
"pops up" and covers other info in the left panel was not apparent to
testers.  They didn't see the tabs at the bottom of the page.  My
suggestion is that the tabs be at the top and that one should be able to
flip through them like a rolodex rather than pull them up like, I suppose,
a folder out of a file drawer.
\

>In the "Using the file manager" section is says
>
>    Testers tried to drag file to the desktop. When that
>    didn't work they began to look for a copy command.
>
>Dragging any file to the desktop should work in Nautilus. Do we know why it
>didn't work for the user test subjects?

I don't.  Beland? or someone else?

>Later in that section it says
>
>    Testers had trouble with the instruction to Copy.
>    Several looked for a Copy command under the Edit
>    menu in the File Manager.
>
>    Suggestion: Provide a Copy and Paste commands under
>    Edit that would copy and paste files or at least a
>    Duplicate command. If I duplicate command were provided
>    then testers could duplicate file and drag that to new destination.
>
>Nautilus does have a Duplicate menu item in the File menu. I guess no users
>looked there? It seems likely that the users looking for Copy under the Edit
>menu are familiar with Windows. Is there any evidence to suggest that users
>not familiar with Windows would expect a Copy command in the Edit menu, but
>not expect a Duplicate command in the File menu?

Actually, they did, or at least one person did, but the Duplicate command
was not active, greyed out.

Susan Jones