Re: [Nautilus-list] ANNOUNCE: gnome-vfs-extras 0.1 released

So the issue here is LGPL and GPL

Module			Licence
---------------------	------------
gnome-vfs	 	LGPL
gnome-vfs-extras	GPL
SAMBA			GPL

I have no idea what M$ stealing code from SAMBA has to do with
any of this, but LGPL and GPL software have difficulty co-existing in
the same project.  So The gnome-vfs-extras code that needs part of the
SAMBA code to compile must be GPL.  If that code was in gnome-vfs then
someone could not write a propriatary/BSD/MPL/FOL gnome-vfs module as
the whole code base would become GPL.  In maintaining freedom for
programers to extend gnome-vfs, it was chosen to be distributed under
the LGPL.

-R*S
                                   San Francisco, CA
Robin * Slomkowski                 pretender @ rslomkow . org