Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus + smbclient

    Alex> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Danan Sudindranath wrote:
    >>
    >> Why can't you just mount the smb with the smbfs kernel module and
    >> navigate the directory from there? That worked for me (until of
    >> course the smbfs module locked my kernel while transfering large
    >> files, does that happen to anyone else?)

    Alex> Of course you *can* do that. But do you want to force user to do
    Alex> that?  That's not very good for a graphical file-manager, is it?

That *is* the Unix filesystem model - a single-rooted unified filesystem.
When I run "make xconfig" in /usr/src/linux I typically see between five and
ten filesystem types to choose from.  Is Nautilus going to need
filesystem-specific code for all the different types of filesystems people
might want to browse?  What's so special about smb?

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098