Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus optimized?

On Friday, June 1, 2001, at 11:31  AM, Danan Sudindranath wrote:

I was wondering whether Nautilus 1.0 is currently optimized in

1) Is it compiled with debugging code, and does it have known bottlenecks
that need to be sped up

Nautilus is typically compiled with debugging code on, although that's up to each packager. Releases of Nautilus are source code releases. On the other hand, turning the debugging code off would be unlikely to have a noticeable or measurable effect on the speed of Nautilus.

There are many bottlenecks that could be sped up, but I'm not sure if they qualify as "known". A good project is to do some profiling and find some bottlenecks and Yoann has been doing. The current cvs Nautilus is faster than Nautilus 1.0.

2) Would there be significant speed improvement if it was compiled to a
particular architecture (i586 or i686)

Almost certainly not.

    -- Darin