Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: magic desktop URIs

On Friday, July 20, 2001, at 09:57  AM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Perhaps the system config. and server config. should be folders
(symlinks to folders, really, I guess) inside "preferences:" rather
then separate top-level URIs?

If we put them there, then they aren't really preferences (I'm
remembering your prefs vs. settings point). Certainly network
configuration is something you can screw up, not just an arbitrary
preference.

What do you think about server-settings: and system-settings: or
something? This would still having system-settings: as a subfolder of
preferences: by simply putting an appropriate .desktop file in
/usr/share/control-center.

One thing I'm not clear on is which of these need their own special URIs. I'm not sure what the rationale is for having a special URI, vs. just being a folder at a known location.

But certainly "system-settings:" is better than "sysconfig:", although URI schemes can't have punctuation in them, so I think "system-settings:" is out of the question.

But if we want to merge system settings and user prefs, we need all
the control panels dumped into /usr/share/control-center directly, and
only one URI scheme.

I don't suggest merging them, but rather not having them be completely separate. If there's a folder called "System Settings" inside the "Preferences" directory alongside all the preferences, it doesn't seem like it's going to cause extra confusion, and it makes it more likely that someone looking for setting will stumble on the system settings too if they go looking in Preferences first, making it less important for them to know from the start which category their setting goes in.

I am not sure about how clear "System" is in this context, also. It seems that by "System", you mean "This Computer", but not this particular user. Is that going to be something everyone understands? System is a particularly vague word, and is used to mean different things in all sorts of different contexts.

Sorry that I am not helping you with specific suggestions, but I figured I'
d just give you my thoughts even though I don't have a solution to offer.

    -- Darin