Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: magic desktop URIs

On Friday, July 20, 2001, at 09:25  AM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Do you guys think the icon on the desktop, etc. should also be simply
"Start", or change only the URI scheme?

I was commenting only on the URI scheme. I think Start Here is probably fine for the desktop icon.

These are full of desktop files. They are equivalent to
/usr/share/control-center, but for system and server control panels
respectively.

I personally would use a word like "preferences" or "settings" rather than "config". Especially if you have three similar places and one is "preferences" but the other two are "config". I would probably call these three things "control panels" too, rather than "preferences".

The distinction between user preferences and system preferences is a quite-confusing one for a single-user system. It would not occur to me to look for the date in "system config." rather than in "preferences".

Perhaps the system config. and server config. should be folders (symlinks to folders, really, I guess) inside "preferences:" rather then separate top-level URIs?

    -- Darin