Re: [Nautilus-list] minor installation glitch with circular package dependencies

on 1/30/01 10:26 PM, Tavis Barr at tavis mahler econ columbia edu wrote:

> I just installed Nautilus on a RedHat 7 system from the RPMs.  During the
> process, when I had to upgrade rpm to rpm-4.0.2, I found that rpm-4.0
> (which came with RedHat 7) depended on rpm-devel-4.0, and rpm-devel-4.0
> depended on rpm-4.0.  So I had to install rpm-4.0.2 and rpm-devel-4.0.2
> using the --nodeps flag to rpm.
>
> I wanted to send the note along because I thought this might belong on a
> help page somewhere if you are trying to make it easy for more newbie-ish
> people to install.

When I have run into this kind of situation in the past I've just installed
both packages with a single RPM command, and RPM handled it just fine. I
didn't have to use "--nodeps", but you would have to use it if you were
installing the two packages with two separate invocations of RPM.

    -- Darin