Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus and memory usage (performance issue)

Seth Nickell wrote:

> I normally don't track memory that closely, but I was pretty surprised
> to open gtop while running Nautilus.
>
> http://null.stanford.edu/mem.png shows visually just how much memory we
> are using. There's a fair number of apps running right there, but the
> single two biggest processes are nautilus (dramatically) and
> nautilus-notes, clocking in at 144MB and 30MB respectively. GIMP with an
> image open is one of those applications smaller than nautilus-notes
> (!!!). I can understand nautilus itself being a large application, but
> nautilus-notes?

gtop is a damn liar and doesn't have a clue about threads. The real memory usage
will be a little more than the number you see divided by the number of the
actitve threads.

Sadly I don't think there is a tool that would reflect the memory used by a
process accurately on Linux. If someone knows of one, I'd be very interested.

Pavel