[Nautilus-list] what the HECK is nautilus doing with my disks?

I build nautilus from 2001-01-20-13:05 tarballs last night.  It works
fine, except that is does something unholy with my disks!  When I start
it, the disks run HARD for over ten seconds.  They make a very high
pitched seeking noise, as if they are doing repeated track-to-track
seeking.  Using strace, I see that sync is called (via IIOP) thousands of
times when nautilus is starting.

When nautilus is running, it does the same thing.  Every time I hover the
mouse over an MP3 icon, the icon gains the little musical note, and the
disks seek HARD for perhaps 1/3 second.

This is extremely annoying as I have quite loud disks in an array, and
they all seek in unison.  I'm even afraid that it isn't good for the
hardware.  What on Earth is this software doing to make the disks run like
that?  Why sync so often?

I suspect GConf.  Am I right?

Regards,
Jeffrey Baker