Re: [Nautilus-list] Mozilla plugin problems

On 13 Jan 2001 14:44:56 -0600, Will LaShell wrote:

> > On a separate note, I sent a mail to the list about 10 days ago
> > regarding problems with MP3 playing and such, but I've received no
> > response at all.  It sure would be nice to get something, anything to
> > acknowledge that someone read it.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Heya Dan, I tried but I didn't get that behavior with the mp3s you
> mentioned.
> Does it still occur with new builds?

Yes.  I compiled CVS from this morning, and it's still there.  I
understand more of what's happening now, too.  Ideally, what I'd like to
do is select multiple .mp3 files in a directory and click on them to
play them all in sequence.  I'm left-clicking, not from the right-mouse
menu.  However (and I believe this was discussed on a separate recent
thread), Nautilus is not equipped to open multiple files in a single
instance of an application.  In my case, I believe Nautilus is trying to
open a new instance of XMMS for each MP3 that I've selected, so the
second and subsequent file causes the audio device warning I reported.
XMMS opens, but only the last file is in the playlist.  Although I still
get the problem even when I try clicking on a single MP3, after I've
closed all instances of XMMS.

I think what Nautilus needs is the capability of opening multiple files
in a single instance of an application (i.e. xmms *.mp3).  This should
probably be stored in the MIME info, specific to each application.  If
the application can support multiple filenames passed to it, then this
would/should be the default.  There should also exist the capability to
open each file in a separate instance.  This would appear in the
right-mouse menu.

Maybe Nautilus already does what I'm talking about, but if it does it's
not obvious at all.

> (If it helps, I thought I responded to you :/)

I don't remember a response, but thanks for trying. :)

Dan