Re: [Nautilus-list] Sorting Directories First

Darin Adler wrote:
> > Another thing I'd like to see is to have capital letters sort ahead of
> > all lowercase letters (or at least an option to do this) because many
> > Unix file naming conventions are based on the assumption that capital
> > letters sort first (README, ChangeLog, INSTALL, etc).
>
> Same situation here. We came up with the idea before, and we are considering
> it for post 1.0 (bugzilla.eazel.com bug 1637).

Hopefully only as an option... Nautilus sorts according to locale rules
now (bug 3410) and treating case different in Nautilus would break that.

Personally, I think the very scheme of trying to name a file so that it
will appear "on top" is a bad idea -- because one assumes a particular
way of sorting, which of course is broken. Sorting varies from locale to
locale. One can give a file a name that will stand out (using all
uppercase, for example) but one really shouldn't rely on it being sorted
in a particular way.

So I think that "Sort uppercase files seperately" should be only an
option, as I think it is only a compability thing with an old, obsolete
UNIX mind set that assume everybody uses the same language and locale
and hence sorting, and not something that a modern localized environment
should use as a default.

Christian