Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Le jeu, 04 jan 2001 18:41:38, Calum Benson a écrit :
> John Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I don't think we are disagreeing here, but I'm not quite
> sure. In the
> > version that the users were tested on, they could change
> the text in a text
> > document viewed in Nautilus by typing or deleting, which
> was a bug because
> > no changes could be saved. This has since been corrected
> so that you can't
> > change the text by typing or deleting. Therefore we are
> "stopping them
> > before they try" and not forcing them to do something
> wrong and then redo
> > the operation.
>
> Perhaps presenting the read-only view on a grey (or at
> least non-white)
> background would emphasise the read-only nature of the
> document-- as is
> conventional with text fields etc.?  At the moment it
> still *looks* very editable until you try.

Not grey or white or red or whatever :
the gtk *theme* color for non-editable textfields.

Anything else won't do. Nautilus is already broken enough
regarding gtk theme compliance, if you're not using the same
theme as the developpers half the settings look strange or
plain wrong and clash with "good" gtk widgets. Right now
Nautilus is not a classic gtk app nor uses only its own
widget set and ends up being really confusing (IMHO). When I
look at a Nautilus part I have to ponder if it's a native
gtk
one (in which case its color means one thing) or one of the
numerous Nautilus hacks (in which case the *same* or
almost-same color might mean something really different).

--
Nicolas