Having freetype dependency problems? (Re: [Nautilus-list] Cannot install 2001-02-15-1013 snapshot)

Ross Burton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I cannot install the latest Nautilus hourly build:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         freetype >= 2.0 is needed by
> nautilus-0.8.1.EazelSourceSnapshot.200102151013-200102151013
>
> I have installed freetype2-2.0.1-1_eazel_1.i386.rpm from
> developer.eazel.com/downloads/extra - is there a newer library I need?
>
> Ross Burton

Christian already answered this on nautilus-list, but I just wanted to
share Ramiro's (slightly edited) answer with nautilus-test, if you use
RPMs.

<snip>

Long, sappy and depressing story:

A long time ago, when I made the freetype RPMS, I made a very bad choice
in naming it.  I called it 'freetype2.'  The reason was that there
already existed a 'freetype' (FreeType Version 1) RPM which was used by
many things in the system.

Now, RedHat is going to release an official freetype RPM.  They named it
'freetype.'  They also wired the RPM to include the old FreeType Version
1 libraries in the package.  This is a good solution.  This package is
already present in RedHat 7.1 beta.

The problem is that if we continue to build our own version of freetype,
we will be in conflict with the official one.

So, here are the new RPMS:

RedHat 6.x:

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat62/freetype2/freetype-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat62/freetype2/freetype-devel-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat62/freetype2/freetype-utils-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

RedHat 7.0:

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat70/freetype2/freetype-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat70/freetype2/freetype-devel-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

http://developer.eazel.com/eazel-hacking/updates/redhat70/freetype2/freetype-utils-2.0.1-4.i386.rpm

To update to new versions of freetype, you will have to do this:

1) Erase the old freetype RPMS: rpm -e --nodeps freetype2 freetype2-devel

2) Install the new ones: rpm -Uvh freetype*2.0.1*.rpm