Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus and ximian

On 15 Feb 2001 02:35:54 -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> We would appreciate input about what you didn't like.
>
> -seth

now, first it's the speed: GMC is much faster in dieplaying the contents
of a directory.

second: Handling of RPMs and Compressed files/archives:
the version of nautilus I'm running here (0.8.1-15.02.2001...) can't
open/display/install RPMs - I get an error like "the view package
encountered an error..."

I tried the eazel online installer (on maelstrom): It doesn't work,
probably because it has trouble with rpm too ...

(using rpm 4.0.2 on RH7)

and with ZIPs, BZs, GZs? how to handle them? GMC opens them and shows
the contents - I can extract files simply by dragging them to some place
in the directory tree. I tried to assign gnoZIP to compressed files;
well, nautilus now opens gnozip but without actually loading the file I
double-clicked. I think this is because gnozip needs the parameter -f
filename ... how do I tell nautilus about that?

third: handling of files generally:
I used the new gnome control-center "file-types" to assign glimmer and
bluefish as options for opening PHP files. But when I rightclick a php
there is neither of them listed ... The same goes for HTML: I added an
editor but it doesn't appear in the "open" menu

the left pane: please include a configuration setting for the default
"content" of the left pane: I need the tree by default, and smaller that
it's current default

the toolbar and address bar take way too much space!! Make them
smaller!! Perhaps you just need to create a theme "mimimalist" that
contains UI items as small as possible

That's it for now :-))
With the houtly build I got today Nautilus runs without any GConf errors
so far, seems I finally can realy try to use it for every day work and
see what else it is exactly that bothers me. I'll report more when I got
more into it :-))

thanks
Jens Ansorg