Re: [Nautilus-list] Improved nautilus tree view?

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 16:04, Matthew J. Doller wrote:
> this is something that comes up on this list at least once a month or
> so, and everyone usually chimes in with "yeah, make the tree more
> functional!"
> while it is a good idea, i may be going out on a limb here by saying
> that i disagree on the implementation.  i dont think that the tree is
> the problem here's why:
> putting arbitrary "limbs" into the tree view, like "local files",
> "home", "windows network", etc. can be done in either one of two ways.
> predefine them, or have the user define them.
> predefining them is a bad idea, because things like "windows network"
> may not exist.
> having the user define them is also a bad idea, because it just adds
> another area into the already crowded nautilus preferences.
>
> so, here is my solution :)
>
> why not use something that already exists in nautilus: the bookmarks.
> i made a mockup of what this might look like.
>
> note: i may have gotten a little carried away with the "Programs" group
> :)
>
> if anyone has any ideas for improvements, or they disagree with my
> reasoning, let me know!
> matt
>
> On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 08:59, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > Unfortunately this was done with GIMP and not C
> >
> > Mark

well it is my fault by starting with the whole
"this is what i want nautilus to look like" thing
how much of you attachement is real? im using nautilus
1.4 and i have no bookmarks sidebar.

i think that is it is not a bad idea but bookmarks is
probably not the best place - how about a networking tab.

Mark