Re: [Nautilus-list] throbber out-of-process

Hi Havoc,

       Yes, the point of the throbber is to show that Nautilus is doing
work, but the in-process throbber was showing a level of detail that was
pretty confusing to the ordinary user - whether or not Nautilus is
unblocked enough to run the main loop.   The in-process throbber seemed
to sputter erratically, to the point that Bud Tribble and others
considered it to be one of Nautilus' worst usability problems.

        I agree it would be best to have Nautilus and its underlying
libraries block infrequently enough to use the in-process throbber.
Before implementing the component version last December, I tried to fix
the worst blockages but wasn't able to; I also recall Maciej giving it a
shot.

       Why don't we try running it in-process again to see if we think
it's acceptable nowadays?  If it still sputters too much we can always
switch back.

-- Andy