Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On 12 Apr 2001 21:45:40 -0300, Cesar Cardoso wrote:
> Em 12 Apr 2001 11:52:27 -0700, Darin Adler escreveu:
>
> > A number of Nautilus users have already requested that the desktop go into a
> > directory with a simpler name. ~/.gnome-desktop is shorter than
> > ~/.nautilus/desktop, but I was hoping for something even better. (For
> > example, tigert wants ~ to just "be the desktop".)
> >
> Maybe something like ~/desktop? It's short, it's not hidden (these
> .hidden desktop dirs annoys me).
> Or even maybe people from GNOME and KDE should meet and agree on an
> unified desktop dir and file style. Using the same dirs and icons on
> Nautilus, gmc, kfm, kruiser, konqueror... sounds interesting.

I think KDE uses Desktop so that would be a more appropriate name if
non-hidden directories were desired.

However, this would mean that a user clicking "Home" on the desktop,
then "Desktop" and so on would cycle between those two directories.
Something that I think is confusing to new users (though I'm not on
expert on this).

Further I see no reason for having the desktop directory not hidden.
Well, actually I can think of one reason, being that it's easyer to find
it in the file dialog, but this is something that should be solved by a
button or something in that dialog.

And if you'd want a non-hidden desktop directory you could always create
a link from Desktop to .desktop (or .gnome-desktop or whatever).