Re: [Nautilus-list] User levels

    John> To me, user levels is one aspect of this design, not a way
    John> to avoid it.

    John> I am not completely sure that user levels are the best
    John> design, but you haven't really convinced me otherwise.

If a preference's storage in gconf isn't writeable by the current user
(i.e. it's found a mandatory config path) then either the mechanism
for changing it shouldn't appear or should at least be greyed out.

That way, site managers can give users as much control as is good for
them.  Yes, I am a site manager with about 2000 users :)

I like completely configurable software, but I must have the ability
to stop users reconfiguring arbitrary parts of it.  Support becomes a
nightmare otherwise.  My community isn't prepared to pay for the extra
people power it would take to open up the system completely.

This isn't a Nautilus problem, it's a gconf/bonobo problem in my
opinion.

(Feel free to replace any should/must with "I'd like it to", depending
on your mood at the time of reading. :)

--
Kenny

ADML Support, EUCS, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland.