Re: [Nautilus-list] High level outline of planned client testing. Tell us what's missing, please. ;)

All the file/folder stuff could be listed under "File Views", though the
phrase you really want there I think is "Folder Views". That is, your "File
Operations" section could be a subsection of the "Folder Views" section.

===

One feature that's easy to overlook because it doesn't appear as pixels in
the UI is keyboard navigation. There's a general topic of "everything should
be accessible from the keyboard somehow" and a more specific topic of
selecting items in folder views from the keyboard. This is also missing from
the feature list on the testing web site, by the way. Here's a quick
overview:

In icon & list views (including the desktop, the trash, and search results),
when the content area has keyboard focus (e.g., after clicking in the
background):

right arrow moves the selection to the next item to the right
left arrow moves the selection to the next item to the left
up arrow moves the selection to the next item above
down arrow moves the selection to the next item below

If the Control key is down in addition to an arrow key, the selection does
not change, but the "keyboard focus" moves to the next item in the specified
direction. Control-space toggles the selection of the keyboard-focussed
item. (This is a way to make multiple-item selections from the keyboard.)

NOTE: With "smoother graphics" (anti-aliased graphics) enabled, there is a
bug right now where you can't tell which item has keyboard focus because it
isn't drawn differently (bug 2877). So at the moment it only makes sense to
test this feature with "smoother graphics" off.

Tab key moves to the next item alphabetically. Shift-tab moves to the
previous item alphabetically.

===

The "Other Views" section says "PostScript" when it means "PDF".

===

In the Customization section there's a question:

    Emblems (what doing in this list?)

Emblems doing in that list because you can drag & drop emblems (and
create/remove new ones) from the window currently called "Customize". But of
course Emblems can also be turned on and off from the Properties window, so
testing Emblems could be listed in that other place too/instead.

===

The Navigation section should also include the "location bar", that text
field you can type a new location into. Note that a not-necessarily-obvious
feature of the location bar is auto-completion of local file system URIs.

===

That's enough comments for this round.

John