[Nautilus-list] Re: Test Doc...

Excellent work Peter!

The one comment I have is adding compatibility testing between StarOffice and Nautilus 1.0 and GNOME 1.2 & 1.4 planned deliverables. Do you have access to a previous StarOffice test plans or if you have one for this effort already. I guess I don't understand what are the plans for compatibility.

Cheers,

Victor

peter foley wrote:

Hi Eli,

thanks for all the positive comments. I am working in Sun on the Gnome
project. At the moment I am testing Nautilus on RedHat 6.2, then i'll be
moving onto Solaris....

I had got the feature list last week, and it was pretty helpful, I was
able to add a few more tests to the doc. So this is strictly a first
draft and will be a lot more comprehensive in future drafts...What i'd
like to get a hold of is a document outlining the validation carried out
on all fields and the boundary limits of those fields, also a list of
error messages so I can add some equivalency partitioning/negative
testing/error generation etc. etc.. But as you know yourself - in
projects like this that's wishful thinking....

Anyway here is the doc below - it is in StarOffice/html format, you
should be able to view it through Netscape, enjoy!!!

comments/questions etc appreciated,

Peter...

--

    _/_/_/  _/  _/  _/    _/
   _/      _/  _/  _/_/  _/

Nautilus Beta Test Assertions

Document Description:

These test assertions are for the Nautilus file manager, to be shipped with the new Gnome desktop for the Solaris operating system. The test assertions are high level tests designed to test the main functionality, as well as the look, feel and usability of the Nautilus G.U.I.. This document will comprise of positive tests, designed to confirm functionality. Negative testing, i.e. generation of error messages, will be covered in a subsequent document. Additional to the high level test cases described below, a list of bugs found during the test execution/writing will be included as an appendix to the test assertion document.

Document Version: 0.1

Software Version: Preview Release 1.

Audience:

This document is intended for all personnel involved in testing Nautilus, aswell as all personnel at a management level involved in the Nautilus project.

Date of Test Execution:

To be confirmed

Project build Number:

This is a preview/beta build.

Default configuration:

The following holds for each test case unless otherwise stated in the body of the test case description:

1] The user will be logged in to Nautilus in Expert Mode.

2] The user is in 'View as Icons' mode.

3] The default zoom setting is at 100%.

Test Case Structure:

Test No. : This is the test case mnemonic, it is unique for each test case. It comprises of the following syntax: "[test section][test area][test area number]"

e.g. func_edit01 -> this test case mnemonic would relate to the first test case to be executed under the Edit main menu in the functional test section. *A list of the abbreviations used in the test case mnemonic is provided below.

Test Case Description: This includes the one line description of the test case, a kind of test case summary. Also steps to recreate the test case may be included, depending on how complex the test case is to execute. If this is the case and there are numbered steps within the test case description section, then each step has a corresponding result in the Expected Result section of the test case body, i.e. Step one in the Expected Result section would be the predicted output for step one in the Test Case Description section of the test case body.

Expected Result: This section of the test case contains the expected output of the test case action. This is what the actual output of the test case is compared against to determine if the test case may be deemed passed or failed.

Actual Result: This section contains the actual output of the test case, this is compared against the predicted output of the test case to determine if the test case has passed or failed.

Risks And Assumptions:

1] There has been minimal documentation made available, this is due to the project being in an early stage and the fact that Nautilus is open source. This means that there is no reference functionality to base the test cases on. In other words I have had to write the test cases based on the functionality seen in the Nautilus application, not knowing whether or not this is the correct functionality.

2] This is the first preview release of the Nautilus application by Eazel, and as such, the functionality is likely to change slightly before the first full release. If this is the case, several of the test assertions outlined below may not apply. Also this means that some functionality may not be covered by the tests below.

Abbreviations:

func_
functionality tests
Edit
functionality under the main Edit menu
File
functionality under the main File menu
Zoom
Zoom functionality.
App
Nautilus startup/close down/appearance/layout test cases.
View
The viewing of files.
Go
functionality under the main Go menu
Book
functionality under the main Bookmark menu
Lay
functionality under the main Layout menu
Help
functionality under the main Help menu
User
functionality user the User Level main menu

Test Sections:

Functionality Tests:

  1. Application startup/closedown/gui manipulation tests

Test No.

Test Case Description

Expected Result

Actual Result

func_app01
Verify that upon initialization, all Nautilus windows appear successfully.

1] Initialise the Nautilus file manager by executing the following command from the command line: 'eazel-preview-1/launch-nautilus &'

1] All Nautilus windows implement/appear successfully
func_app02
Verify that the main application window may be iconified/maximised/minimised by toggling the appropriate frame button. And that the user may change between these states successfully.

Repeat while logged in as Novice/Intermediate/Expert.

The main window is iconifiable, maximisable, and minimisable successfully
func_app03
Verify that it is possible to resize the main Nautilus window, and also to resize the frames within the main Nautilus GUI

The user may resize the main Naut. GUI and resize the frames.

func_app04
Verify that the top three toolbars may be clicked, dragged and switched around.  The user can click, drag, and switch the toolbars around.
func_app05
Verify the correct operation of the navigation bars on the main toolbar.

Start at the root level on a filesystem, go into a sub directory and then a sub directory of that dir.

Ensure that you can successfully navigate both up and down levels on the directory tree by using the back/forward/up buttons on the main toolbar

You can successfully navigate both up and down the directory tree using the back/forward/up buttons on the main toolbar
func_app06
Verify the operation of the 'Reload' button on the main Nautilus window.

View a directory contents, in a separate terminal add a text file, and remove a different text file. Ensure that when you click the reload button on the main toolbar, that this is correctly reflected.

The reload button works and it correctly reflects any changes made to the directory the user is viewing

2. File Viewing.

Test No. Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_view01
Verify that it is possible to sort the files shown in the main Nautilus window while in List mode, and that all columns may be sorted in ascending and descending mode by clicking on the top of each column.

Repeat while logged in as Novice/Intermediate/Expert.

The user can sort file while in List mode and can sort the columns ascending/descending.
func_view02
Verify that the following types of files may be successfully and clearly viewed within Nautilus as icons, that they may be highlighted successfully, and that the user may easily view the contents.

1] MPEG file

2] JPG file

3] BMP file

4] GIF file

5] RPM file

6] AVI file

7] RM file

8] MOV file

9] PNG file

10] TXT file

11] MP3 file

Repeat while logged in as Novice/Intermediate/Expert.

The user can sort file while in List mode and can sort the columns ascending/descending.
func_view03
Verify that it is possible to sort files within the main Nautilus frame in a list, and as icons, and that the user may toggle between these modes successfully. Repeat while logged in as Novice/Intermediate/Expert. The user can view files as a list and as icons, and the user can toggle between these modes
func_view04
Verify that it is possible to view hidden files (i.e. Ones with a '.' prefix) while logged in in Expert or Intermediate mode, and that you cannot view hidden files while logged in in Novice mode. Expert/Intermediate users may view hidden files, and Novice level users may not.
func_view05 Verify that if the user does not have read/write/execute permissions for a file displayed in the Nautilus gui, that this is reflected in the representation of the file. The user may tell if he/she does not have read/write/execute permissions for a file displayed in the Nautilus gui.
func_view06
Verify that the user may add different 'views' through the View As Other drop down menu choice.

1] Choose View as sample from the menu that appears when you choose View as Other

func_view07
Verify that when an MP3 file is present in a directory

1] an icon is attached to the file (in View as Icons mode) that lets the user know that this is a music file,

2] and that when the cursor is moved over the file icon that a music note appears to let the user know that the file is going to be played automatically, and the file starts playing

3] and when the cursor is moved away from the file, that the file stops playing...

1] an icon is attached to the file (in View as Icons mode) that lets the user know that this is a music file,

2] when the cursor is moved over the file icon, a music note appears to let the user know that the file is going to be played automatically, and the file starts playing.

3] when the cursor is moved away from the file, that the file stops playing...

func_view08 Verify that when there is an MP3 file in the directory, the menu choice 'View as Music' becomes available. When there is an MP3 file in the directory, the menu choice 'View as Music' becomes available.
func_view09
Verify that when there are a number of mp3 files in a directory, and the 'View As Music' menu choice is made, 1] that the files are arranged as an album, with only the mp3 files being shown.

2] The files are shown with the following column headings: Track, Title, Artist, Bitrate, Time.

3] The files may be arranged in Ascending/Descending order by clicking on the column headers.

4] The files may be played.

5] Once played, the files may be stopped, paused, forwarded, and rewound.

6] That it is possible to skip through a song by clicking and dragging the 'play status' slide bar.

1] When there are a number of mp3 files in a directory, and the 'View As Music' menu choice is made, the files are arranged as an album, with only the mp3 files being shown.

2] The files are shown with the following column headings: Track, Title, Artist, Bitrate, Time.

3] The files may be arranged in Ascending/Descending order by clicking on the column headers.

4] The files may be played.

5] Once played, the files may be stopped, paused, forwarded, and rewound.

6] It is possible to skip through a song by clicking and dragging the 'play status' slide bar.

3. Zoom functionality

Test No. Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_zoom01
Verify that it is possible to highlight a file, go to Edit->Icon Captions, and edit the information that is displayed with the file, on a file by file basis, and that three items of information are displayed with the file when the zoom level is at 100%. It is possible to change the info displayed with a file
func_zoom02
Verify that if the user increases the zoom level of the main Naut. window to 400% the number of items of information pertaining to the file increases to 4, but you are still only allowed to edit three items When the zoom level is at 400% the number of info items displayed is 4 per file.
func_zoom03
Verify that is the user sets the zoom level of the main Naut. window to 150%, the number of items of information pertaining to the file is decreased to three.  When zoom is at 150%, three info items are shown per file.
func_zoom04
Verify that if the user sets the zoom level to 100%, the number of pieces of information displayed per file decreases to 2.  When zoom level is 100%, 2 pieces of file info are shown.
func_zoom05
Verify that when the zoom level is set to 75, and 50% the number of file info pieces shown decreases to 1.  When zoom level is at 75, 50% 1 piece of file info is shown.
func_zoom06
Verify that when the zoom level is set to 25%, no file information is shown, but the emblem is still visible.  When zoom is at 25% no info is seen, but emblem is still visible.
func_zoom07
Verify that if the user is in 'View as List' mode and the zoom level is set to any level, there are four items of information displayed per file, name, time/date of last update, file size, and type of file. Ensure that you cannot customize the info displayed. Zoom is at any setting, can see file name, size, date modified, and file type. Cannot customize info. disp.

4. File Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result  Actual Result
func_file01
Verify the operation of the File->Close menu choice on the main menu toolbar. The G.U.I. Successfully closes down, with no rogue processes running after it has closed.
func_file02
Verify the operation of the hot keys for all menu choices within the Nautilus G.U.I. All hot keys work as expected.
func_file03
Verify the operation of the File->New Window menu choice on the main Nautilus main G.U.I. A new window is successfully spawned, identical to the original Naut window.
func_file04
Verify the operation of the File->New Folder menu choice. Verify that the user may name the folder. A new folder is successfully created, named, and is shown successfully as an icon/file list in the main right frame window.
func_file05
Verify that the user may create a new folder and may then subsequently modify it's properties as follows:

1] Grant read, write execute properties for users group

2] Grant read, write, execute properties for others

3] Change owner/group successfully

4] Set UID

5] Set GID

6] Set to Sticky

7] Assign emblems to the list file/icon

1] permissions successfully granted

2] permissions successfully granted

3] permissions successfully granted

4] UID successfully set

5] GID successfully set

6] Successfully set to sticky

7] Emblems successfully assigned to list file/icon

1-3] Permission changes are successfully reflected on the command line.

func_file06
Verify the operation of the File->Open menu choice. Highlight a directory in the right frame, then click File->Open. The contents of the directory are shown in the main right window.
func_file07
Verify the operation of the File->Open in New Window menu choice.  The file/directory is shown in a separate Nautilus window.
func_file08
Verify the operation of the File->Open with Other Application
func_file09
Verify the operation of the File->Open with Icons viewer menu choice.

Repeat in both Icon and list view mode

All files/subdirectories are shown in Icon view.
func_file10
Verify the operation of the File->Open with List viewer menu choice. Repeat in both Icon and List mode All files/subdirectories are shown in List view.
func_file11
Verify the operation of the File->Show Properties menu choice. Ensure that the same dialog/functionality is invoked as in test func_file05 As expected results func_file05
func_file12
Verify the operation of the File->Duplicate option on the main menu. Highlight a file/directory and hit File->Duplicate. The file/directory is successfully duplicated, with identical permissions/properties as the original.
func_file14
Verify the operation of the File->Rename menu choice. The user is able to rename a file successfully.
func_file15
Verify the operation of the File->Close Window menu choice. Invoke several windows by File->New Window. Click on one of them, invoke the File->Close Window menu choice.  The user is able to successfully close down the highlighted window without closing down the whole application.
func_file16
Verify the operation of the File->Close All Windows menu option. Invoke several windows, highlight one of them and choose the File->Close all Windows choice. The user is able to close down the whole application from one window.

5. Edit Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_edit01
Verify the operation of the Edit->Select All menu choice.  All items on display in the main file display frame within nautilus are highlighted.
func_edit02
Verify the operation of the Edit->Cut menu option

Invoke the Notes sidebar by right clicking on the left frame and choosing Notes. Type in some text, highlight it and then invoke the Edit->Cut menu option. Now invoke the Undo Edit menu choice under the Edit menu header. Next choose the Edit->Redo choice.

The notes sidebar successfully initializes. The text is successfully entered into the Notes sidebar. The text is successfully highlighted, and cut from the Notes sidebar. When you hit Edit->undo, the text returns.

When you choose the Edit->Redo, the text is cut again.

func_edit03
Verify the operation of the Edit->Copy menu choice. Enter text, highlight it and then hit the Edit->Copy menu choice. Next choose the Edit->Undo menu option. Next choose the Edit->Redo choice.  The text is successfully entered, highlighted, and copied. When the user hits the Edit->Undo button, the text is removed from the Notes sidebar. When the user hits the Edit->Redo button, the text is removed, and the original text is remaining.
func_edit04
Verify the operation of the Edit->Paste menu choice. Type in some text into the Notes sidebar, highlight it, hit the Edit-> cut button, then move the cursor to the end of the text section, and hit the Paste menu choice. Hit the Edit->Undo menu choice, then hit the Edit->Redo menu choice.  The highlighted text is successfully pasted to where the cursor was moved. It was then successfully unpasted when the Edit->Undo button was hit. The text was successfully repasted when the Edit->Redo button was hit.
func_edit05
Verify the operation of the Edit->Clear menu choice. Type in some text, hit the Edit->Clear button. Then hit the Edit->Undo button, then the Edit->Redo button. The text is successfully cleared. The text is successfully returned to the Notes sidebar. The text is successfully cleared again.
func_edit06
Verify the operation of the Edit->Stretch Icon button on the main toolbar menu.

Highlight the Icon, and hit the Edit->Stretch button.

The Icon may be increased in size by clicking on one of the 'pins' that appear at the corners of the Icon, and clicking and dragging on it.
func_edit07
Verify the operation of the Edit->Restore Icon to Unstretched Size menu choice. Highlight an Icon and stretch as in naut38 above. Go Edit-Restore Icon to Unstretched Size. The Icon is returned to it's original dimensions.
func_edit08
Verify the Operation Of the Edit -> Customize dialog box The Customize dialog successfully appears.
func_edit09
Verify the operation of the Backgrounds under the Edit -> Customize dialog box.

1] Click and drag each background in turn to the right frame in the main Nautilus window.

2] Click and drag each background in turn to the left frame in the main Nautilus window.

3] Click and drag the 'Reset' icon to the left frame.

4] Click and drag the 'Reset' icon to the right frame.

1] Each of the 37 icons are successfully dragged to the right frame in turn and become the background.

2] Each of the 37 icons are successfully dragged to the left frame in turn and become the background.

3] The 'reset' icon is successfully dragged to the left frame and returns the background to it's default setting.

4] The 'reset' icon is successfully dragged to the right frame and returns the background to it's default setting.

func_edit10
Verify the operation of the Add A New Background func_tionality in the Edit->Customize menu.

Add an image with the extension '.png' to the command line.

1] Invoke the Add A new Background dialog, navigate to the image, highlight the image and click o.k.

2] Click and drag the image to the right hand frame of the main Nautilus window.

3] Click the 'Remove A Background' button.

4] Highlight the image that was previously added.

5] Repeat steps 1-3 above, this time hit the Cancel Remove button.

1] The browse dialog appears, and it is possible to navigate up and down the directory structure, highlight the chosen image file. When you hit o.k the image appears for selection with the rest of the background images.

2] The newly added image becomes the background.

3] The custom images/newly added images appear in a separate frame.

4] The image clicked on is removed from the background selection frame.

5] The added image is left unremoved from the background frame

func_edit11
Verify that it is possible to Create directory/Delete a file and Rename a file from the Add A new Background dialog box.

Create a file at root level and one at a sub dir of root.

1] Hit the Create Dir button, enter a unique name and hit Create.

2] Highlight a file in the right frame of the Add A New Background dialog box, hit the Delete File button, and hit delete in the 'Really Delete' dialog

3] Highlight a file, and hit the Rename a File Button. Enter a name in the dialog box that appears and hit o.k.

1] The directory is created successfully with read/write/execute permissions for the owner/creator.

2] The file is successfully deleted.

3] The file is successfully renamed.

func_edit12
Verify the operation of the Emblems box under the Edit -> Customize menu choice.

1] Click and drag all 10 emblems to a file and then to a directory.

1] All the emblems are added to the file and also to the directory. When you navigate through the dir str, and back to the file/dir the emblems are still attached.
func_edit13
Verify that it is possible to remove an emblem from a file or a dir once is is assigned.

1] Assign several emblems to a file, remove them by right clicking on the file, invoke the properties box, then the emblems box and unclicking the emblems assigned to the file.

1]is possible to remove an emblem from a file once it is assigned.
func_edit14
Verify that it is possible to assign a colour to the frames as a background through the Edit -> Customize -> Colours dialog box.

1] Click and drag each colour in turn to the left frame

2] Click and drag each colour in turn to the right frame

1] The colour becomes the background of the frame .

2] The colour becomes the background of the frame.

func_edit15
Verify that it is possible to add a new colour to the Colours dialog box under the Edit -> Customize menu choice.

1] Click the Add a new colour button.

2] Click and drag the colour cursor in the main circular colour palette to create a new colour and hit the o.k. Button.

3] Click and drag the newly added colour icon to the left frame, and then to the right frame.

1] The Add colour palette appears successfully

2] The colour new colour is added to the list of colours to choose from.

3] The colour becomes the background of the frames successfully.

func_edit16
Verify that it is possible to remove a newly added colour from the list available as a background.

1] Click on the Remove A Colour button.

2] When the list of added colour icons is displayed, click on the one that you want to be removed.

1] A list of all colours added by the user are displayed to choose from.

2] The selected colour is removed from the list of available colours as a background.

func_edit17
Verify that it is possible to change the theme of the Nautilus application through the Edit->Customize->Themes window.

1] Click on the Default theme icon.

2] Click on the Arlo theme icon.

3] Click on the Eazel theme icon.

4] Click on the Vector theme icon.

1] The appearance of Nautilus returns to default. This includes the tab layout of the sidebar, the appearance of the icons within the right frame, the toolbar appearance, and the background colours.The theme icon consists of the default left and right frame backgrounds, aswell as the icons for file and folders.

2] The application appearance changes to reflect the colours that comprise the Arlo icon. This includes the tabs, icons, left and right frame backgrounds, and the toolbars.

3] The application appearance changes to reflect the colours that comprise the Eazel icon. This includes the tabs, icons, left and right frame backgrounds, and the toolbar appearance.

4] The application appearance changes to reflect the colours that comprise the Vector icon. This includes the tabs, icons, left and right frame backgrounds, and the toolbar appearance.

func_edit18
Verify that it is possible to add a theme through the Edit->Customize->Themes->Add A New Theme menu choice. It is possible to add a theme.

6. Go Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_go01
Verify the operation of the Go->Back menu choice

1] Navigate down through a filesystem at least two levels down from root. Hit the Go->Back menu choice to retreat back up the directory structure.

1] The user can use the Back button to retrace his/her steps through the directory structure.
func_go02
Verify the operation of the Go->Forward menu choice.

1] Navigate down two levels through the directory structure, and retreat back up two levels

2] Use the Forward button to re-navigate back down the directory structure.

1] The user can use the Back button to retrace his/her steps through the directory structure.

2] The user can use the Forward button to re-navigate back down the directory structure.

func_go03
Verify the operation of the Go-Up menu choice

1] Navigate down through a filesystem at least two levels down from root. Hit the Go->Up menu choice to retreat back up the directory structure.

1] the user can successfully use the UP button to navigate back up the directory structure.
func_go04
Verify the operation of the Go->Home menu choice.

1] Set the Home location for the user in the Edit-Hacker-Navigation box to /tmp. Navigate to a directory other that /tmp within Nautilus. Hit the Go->Home button.

2] Set the Home location for the user in the Edit->Hacker->Navigation box to /usr. Navigate to a directory other than /usr within Nautilus. Hit the Go->Home button.

1] The user is brought to the Home location as default.

2] The user is brought to the new Home location as default.

func_go05
Verify that an accurate history of the directories that the user has navigated through is kept as a list tagged onto the end of the Go main menu, and that the user may use this to jump to a previously visited directory.

1] Start at the root directory, and navigate down to the etc directory, and then to the rc.d directory.

1] A list of the directories visited in reverse order is shown. In other words the list for the navigation of /root->/etc->/rc.d will be shown as:

rc.d

etc

/

and the user can jump to any of those directories shown by clicking on it in the list.

7. Bookmark Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_book01
Verify the operation of the Add Bookmark menu choice.

1] Navigate up and down the command line within the Nautilus application. After each Navigation click the Add Bookmark button.

2] Access several different web sites on the Internet. At each web location click the Add Bookmark button.

3] Click on the Bookmark main menu, and click on several of the saved bookmarks at the end of the Bookmarks menu.

1] You can navigate up and down the dir. Structure successfully. The location is added to the list of bookmarks at the end of the bookmark menu.

2] You can successfully log on to the desired websites through Nautilus. The location is added to the list of bookmarks at the end of the bookmark menu.

3] You can jump to the directory/web page on the bookmark list by clicking on it.

func_book02
Verify the operation of the Edit Bookmark menu choice.

1] Ensure that there are several web sites and directory locations saved as bookmarks. Invoke the Edit Bookmark box, and click on one of the shown web sites/dirs.

2]Ensure that you can highlight one of the bookmarks shown in the Edit ->Bookmark box and remove it by clicking the Remove button.

3] Toggle the 'Include built-in Bookmarks Menu'.

4] Highlight one of the remaining bookmarks and change the name of it in the Name field.

5] Highlight one of the remaining bookmarks and change the location of it in the Location field.

1] The chosen web site/dir shows up in the 'Name' and the 'Location' fields correctly, with the Name showing just the name of the web site/dir, while the Location field shows the full path from root to the dir or the full internet address of the web site.

2] The bookmark is correctly removed.

3] The default Nautilus bookmark menu is removed and re-added to the list successfully.

4] The name is successfully changed, and appears with the new name when you exit to the main bookmark menu.

5] The bookmark with the original name now accesses a different location as defined by the new entry in the Location field.

func_book03
Verify the operation of the Default Nautilus Bookmark List.

1] From the Bookmarks menu access all links under each on the main sections i.e. Software, hardware etc.

1] The links successfully bring you to the relevant web page, which appears in the main right frame.

8. Layout Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_lay01
Verify the operation of the manual layout menu choice under the Layout main menu. Ascending as arrangement method The manual layout places the icons at random intervals in the main right frame of the Nautilus app.
func_lay02
Verify the operation of the Sort by Name menu choice.

Ensure that the name is one of the items of information set to be displayed with each icon/file list.

Ascending as arrangement method

When clicked on,this arranges the icons/file list in reverse alphabetical order. This means that the top left icon/file to be shown is the last alphabetically.
func_lay03
Verify the operation of the Sort by Size menu choice.

Ensure that the Size is one of the items of information set to be displayed with each icon/file list.

Ascending as arrangement method

When clicked on the items should appear arranged by size, the smallest dir/file being the one displayed at the top left of the icon list or the top of the file/dir list.
func_lay04
Verify the operation of the Sort by Type menu choice

Ensure that the Type is one of the items of information set to be displayed with each icon/file list.

Ascending as arrangement method.

When clicked on the items should appear arranged by Type, the first type being Directories, the second being Binary programs, then Unknown Data file types, then Plain Text files, etc. etc.
func_lay05
Verify the operation of the Sort By modification menu choice.

Ensure that the Modification Date is one of the items of information set to be displayed with each icon/file list. Ascending as arrangement method.

When clicked on the items should appear arranged by Modification Date starting with the oldest modifications, ending with the most recent files/dirs with changes.
func_lay06
Verify the operation of the Sort By Emblem menu choice.

Ascending as arrangement method.

When clicked on the items should appear arranged by Emblem, in the following order:
    o.k.

    Confidential

    Distinguished

    Draft

    Favourite

    Important

    New

    Oh no

    Personal

    Urgent

func_lay07
Verify that test assertions func_lay01 - 06 hold true with Descending as arrangement method.  All test assertions func_lay01-06 hold true except the items are arranged in a descending order.

9. Help Menu functionality.

Test No.
Test Case Description
Expected Result
Actual Result
func_help01
Verify the operation of the Help->About Nautilus menu choice A window appears detailing the Copyright details, version number, the authors, and the date of release of the Nautilus application.
func_help02
Verify the operation of the Help->Preview Release Feedback menu choice Not Known
func_help03
Verify the operation of the Help->Preview Release Info menu choice Not Known

10. User Level Settings Menu.

Test No.
Test Case Description Expected Result Actual Result
func_user01
Verify that it is possible to change between different user levels, namely Novice, Intermediate, Expert levels by choosing the appropriate setting on the main menu toolbar.  It is possible to change between Novice intermediate, and Expert levels.
func_user02
Verify that it is possible to identify which level the user is set to by the Icon that appears rightmost on the main toolbar menu i.e. A green circle appears when the user is in Novice mode, a Blue square appears when the user is in Intermediate mode, and a black square appears when the user is in Expert mode.
Green circle -> Novice mode.

Blue square -> Intermediate mode.

Black square on it's end -> Expert mode.

func_user03
Verify that it is NOT possible to edit the user settings while in Novice Mode It is not possible to edit the user settings in Novice mode.
func_user04
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may edit the Directory Views settings

1] Verify that the user may click a button so that all items will be opened in a new window

2] Verify that the user may toggle between activating items with a single click, and activating things with a double click.

3] Verify that the user may toggle a button to show hidden files.

4] Verify that the user may toggle a button to show special flags in Properties window.

Repeat Steps 1-4 above while logged in to Nautilus as an Expert user.

1] The user may click a button so that all items will be opened in a new window

2] The user may toggle between activating items with a single click, and activating things with a double click

3] The user may toggle a button to show hidden files.

4] The user may toggle a button to show special flags in Properties window.

As expected results 1-4 above.

func_user05
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may edit the Sidebar panels settings.

1] Verify that the user may toggle buttons to make the following sidebar items appear for use by the user:

Help Contents

History

Notes

Sidebar Loser

Tree

Web Search

Repeat step 1 above while logged in to Nautilus as an Expert user.

1] The user may toggle buttons to make the following sidebar items appear for use by the user:

Help Contents

History

Notes

Sidebar Loser

Tree

Web Search

As expected result 1 above.

func_user06
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may edit the Appearance settings.

1] The user may toggle the 'Use smoother graphics' button

2] The user may change the default font to any of the five fonts in the relevant drop-down menu

3] The user may change which toolbars appear on the app. as default.

Repeat steps 1-3 above while logged in to Nautilus as an Expert user.

1] When the smoother graphics button is toggled on, all icons appear smoother, that is to say it affects the number of pixels for each item. When it is toggled off, the icons appear not as smooth, as the number of pixels per item have decreased.

2] The user can choose from the dropdown menu and change the default font of the application.

3] The user may turn off/on the location, the tool bar, and the status bar at the end of the application. The application refreshes which toolbars are shown dynamically.

As expected results 1-3 above.

func_user07
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may edit the Speed Tradeoffs settings.

1] Verify the user may toggle between showing Text In Icons: a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never.

2] Verify that the user may toggle between showing thumbnails for Image files : a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never.

3] Verify that the user may toggle between Making Directory Appearance Details Public: a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never.

Repeat steps 1-3 above while logged in to Nautilus as an Expert user.

1] The user toggles between showing Text In Icons: a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never. And that the app slows down the more text is shown with files.

2] The user toggles between showing Thumbnails for Image files: a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never. And the more that the Icons are displayed the slower the application runs.

3] The user toggles between Making Directory Appearance Details Public: a) Always, b) Local files only, c) Never. And that more the dir app. Details are made public, the app slows down in performance.

As expected results 1-3 above.

func_user08
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may edit the Search settings.

1] The user may choose to search for files by text only, or by text and properties also.

2] The user may choose to do a slow search or a normal one

3] The user may change the location of the default search engine used for web searches.

Repeat steps 1-3 above while logged in to Nautilus as an Expert user.

1] The user may choose to search for files by text only, or by text and properties also.

2] The user may choose to do a slow search or a normal one

3] The user may change the location of the default search engine used for web searches.

As expected results 1-3 above.

func_user09
Verify that while in Intermediate mode the user may change the location of the Home Location, and that the user may change the location to a directory level, or to a web location.

Change to Expert mode and repeat the above step

The user may change the location of the Home Location, and that the user may change the location to a directory level, or to a web location.

This holds true when the user is logged into Nautilus as an Expert.

Defect List:

This section profiles a list of the total Nautilus defects which have been logged by myself during the course of writing this test assertion document.

Also included is the official defect number as assigned by the Nautilus bug tracking system located at the following url: http://www.bugzilla.eazel.com

This list will be dynamically updated as defects are logged.

Defect ID. Defect Summary
Date Logged
Current Status
Bug 2605 Can move the trash icon to trash (making it irretrievable).
30/8/00
Closed
Bug 2606 File -> Open with Other Application causes app. to crash.
30/8/00
Closed
Bug 2607 Help -> Preview Release Feedback causes app. to hang then crash.
30/8/00
Reassigned
Bug 2608 Help -> Preview Release Info causes app. to hang then crash.
30/8/00
Reassigned
Bug 2609 Not possible to remove an emblem from a file once assigned
30/8/00
Not A Bug
Bug 2610 Added duplicate colours, not able to remove them subsequently
30/8/00
New
Bug 2678 Killed App. Still see Processes running
30/8/00
Duplicate
Bug 2750 Cannot retrieve files from trash....
4/9/00
New
Bug 2751 Cannot access the web through Nautilus
4/9/00
New
Bug 2752 Cannot use the help within the sidebar
4/9/00
New
Bug 2778 App. Crashes first time after installation
5/9/00
New
Bug 2779 Dependancies shown when installing Nautilus as per web site
5/9/00
New
Bug 2781  Can only turn sidebar tabs on when certain sidebar tabs active
5/9/00
New