Re: [Nautilus-list] Plain Text Problems

Darin Adler <darin eazel com> writes:

> on 8/2/00 2:15 PM, Michael Meeks at michael helixcode com wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> >> There is no problem with this; it's a good idea. However it should be
> >> redundant. Listing "text/*" should be sufficient and we should be able
> >> to remove the "text/plain" and "text/html" items above with no effect.
> >
> > Yes, I'm doing this; also I'm slightly concerned that this
> > component thinks it can deal with <item value="special/webdav-directory"/>
> > can someone who knows confirm / deny this ? I'll commit shortly with a
> > load of other bits.

It should now be x-directory/webdav, the reason for this is that a
webdav directory also has an associated HTML page and you may want to
view the source of that page.

> I learned since that there's some distinction between a "supertype" entry
> like "text/*" and a specific type entry, but not exactly what it is. You
> should talk to Maciej about exactly what this is before changing the
> oafinfo, I think. Since the oafinfo is currently only looked at by Nautilus,
> there's no reason to rush and change it before consulting him.

Yes, components that handle the specific type are preferred to ones
that handle the type itself when picking a default.

> >> It seems very unusual to me that removing "text/html" from the list
> >> above has any effect at all.
> >
> > I imagine this is down to what order oaf returns equaly matching
> > results in, as a random guestimate.
>
> Just a side note (to the OAF maintainers :-): I'd prefer something that's
> more predictable, if arbitrary.

The relevant selection order thing is in gnome-vfs. I think the
preference order for default component is something like this:

* Prefer specificed default component for the type, if any

* Prefer a component on the short list to one not on the short list

* Prefer something that handles the specific type to something that
  handles the supertype or `*'

* Prefer something that handles the supertype to something that
  handles `*'

* Prefer something with an alphabetically earlier name.

I believe this is predictable, if arbitrary.

Sorry for not replying to this earlier.

 - Maciej