[Nautilus-list] Réf. : Re: medusa. What good does that do?

As far as i know, Medusa is an indexer for Nautilus. It consist in 3 parts:
- The indexer "medusa-indexd" will scan your disk and creat index files in
/usr/share/medusa. The time for the indexing process depend on the size of disk
(i think two 9 GB disks wil take a long time because it took 1 hour on my poor
4GB disk).
- A demon "medusa-searchd" that will be launch by Nautilus
- And the "Search" button in Nautilus that will allow complex search like
	"Find all files that have the name begining with 'gnome' "
	"Find all files that have more than 10 MB "
	"Find all files containing  the word 'Hello' "
	"Find all files that have the Nautilus emblem 'Cool' "
	"Find all files modified yesterday"
The result of this search will depend on the indexed files and will be quicker
than scanning all the disk.

Jean-Michel
Web site: http://www.ifrance.com/ardantz
Screenshots of Evolution and Nautilus

jgotts%linuxsavvy com Internet
29/11/2000 08:57
Pour:	pauljohn%ukans edu Internet
cc:	gnome-list%gnome org Internet,
nautilus-list%lists eazel com Internet (ccc: Jean-Michel ARDANTZ/SIFAC/F-T)
Objet:	Re: medusa. What good does that do?

[Please follow-up to nautilus-list lists eazel com ]

In message <3A23B9D3 7C20890D ukans edu>, Paul E Johnson writes:

>I installed the Nautilus test packages and now I notice that a massive
>job medusa-indexd runs in the morning and slows my computer to a crawl.
>On the heels of slocate, it is quite a drag.  I never use locate, and
>have considered getting rid of it.  Medusa appears on the surface at
>least to be a new slocate. Can Nautilus run without it?

I timed medusa-indexd and it took over 45 minutes before I killed it and
changed /etc/crontab to run my daily tasks at a time when I'm more likely to be
at home and sound asleep.  I like to hack into the early hours.

I have a feeling that medusa-indexd uses gobs and gobs of memory (~ 100 MB)
because when I return to my machine in the afternoon/early evening my swap use
exceeds 100 MB (a dozen or two MB would be more typical).

The machine in question is a dual processor 500 MHz Pentium III machine with
256 MB of memory and a pair of U2W 9 GB SCSI disks.  While it's not a dual 1
GHz Pentium III with a gigabyte of memory, it's nothing to sneeze at.

medusa-indexd must be either horribly inefficient or have just a bit too much
functionality for current machines.  Or maybe CVS medusa-indexd isn't
indicative of future production releases.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts