Re: [Nautilus-list] HTTP Directory Browsing

On 12 Nov 2000 mjs eazel com wrote:

> "Arlo Rose" <arlo eazel com> writes:
>

> > I think Thomas meant any old web page as a folder view, not just a DAV page.
> > I'm not sure how he envisioned this working, but I could see us doing an
> > icon view for web pages that gave you a folder full of web links and visible
> > media on the page.
>
> Microsoft's Web Folders are based on WebDAV, just like our web folders
> in Nautilus. You can't view an arbitrary web page as a folder in
> Nautilus, only ones that support WebDAV. The UI for this in IE is also
> pretty awkward: you have to use the "Open Location..." dialog and
> click on a special checkbox to open a page as a web folder. There's no
> convenient way to switch to viewing a page as a folder once already
> viewing it as a web page.
>
> Or at least that's how it was last time I heard about it.
>
> So the bottom line is, we do support web folders just like IE, only
> with a better UI. But Nautilus probably lacks the general-purpose
> authentical features needed to access other online storage services
> right now.
>
>  - Maciej

I was thinking of WebDAV pages. However, I do owe my own server supporting
this feature, and I do have a account at driveway (www.driveway.com). Both
are supported in Microsoft's Web Folders, but I was not able to open them
in a foler view using Nautilus. Maybe I did something wrong.

If I want to connect to my server using web view, I just enter the URL
into the "Open Location..." dialog and click the checkbox, as you
sayed. If i type the URL into Nautlus, the front page of my server is
being opend by Nautilus, and I only could switch from "View as Web
Page" to "View as Text". I can't view them in something like a folder
view.

If I want to connect to my driveway account, I'm entering the following
URL "http://files.driveway.com/user.haschka"; into this "Open
Location...". Then the Explorer asks me for my username and my password,
and then I could browse the folder like any other on my system. When I
type the same URL into Nautlilus he tells me that I have no permission to
view that folder. So I tried to do it like if I want to open a ftp folder,
and typed in "http://haschka:password files driveway com/". After I did
this Nautilus showed me the front page of driveway.

Thanks for help,

Thomas