Re: [Nautilus-list] command suggestion: "start"

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann godzilla ICS UCI EDU> writes:
  >
  > > Hi!
  > >
  > > There is one feature that I think it would be nice for Nautilus to
  > > provide:
  > >
  > > a command line command (let's call it start) that would do the
  > > equivalent of double-clicking on an icon in the file manager.  For
  > > example:
  > >
  > > start FILE.ps
  > >
  > > would run gv FILE.ps
  > >
  > > or
  > >
  > > start FILE.pdf
  > >
  > > would run xpdf FILE.pdf
  >
  > Well, clicking on the icon would normally run the component, not the
  > apps.

That is fine, it still does the job :)

  > > or
  > >
  > > start DIRNAME
  > >
  > > would open a Nautilus window for that directory.
  > >
  > > This way from the command line you'd never have to remember all the
  > > commands to open any file... and this feature it's probably very easy
  > > to implement...
  >
  > Actually, it sort of already works - I think
  >
  > % nautilus some://uri/here

Would it work with just a file name
(like ../DIRNAME/etc...etc.../FILENAME) and not a complete URI?

A user doesn't realy want to know what application is use to open a
certain file (all the time when I work on a new system I wonder: "So
how can I view jpegs on this machine" (or something like that)). n

  > Will cause the running nautilus to spawn an extra window on the
  > specified URI. It will probably not fall back to using an app
  > instead of a component if there is no component though.

It would be nice to have that, though. From the user's point of view
there should not be any distinction between applications and
components.

Thanks for taking the time to think about this!

	--Dan