Re: [Gnome-admin-tools] [Nautilus-list] Re: Gnome-admin-tools digest, Vol 1 #7 - 17 msgs

Let me summarize the current plan for the gnome-admin-tools project (as
I understand it -- these were all hammered out by Hans Petter Jansson
and Miguel).

The design principles for the initial version of the tool set are:

1) The "customer" for the tools is the ordinary desktop user who needs
to administer his/her machine, without any previous Unix experience.
2) Our initial focus is the tools themselves, rather than a general tool
infrastructure.
3) The tools work with the standard system configuration files, rather
than supplanting them.
So passwords are still kept in /etc/passwd, etc.
4) The tools also should work with the way things work on a given
platform/distribution.  For
example, on Redhat, the network tool set up /etc/sysconfig/network, etc.

The design for each tool itself is:

1) A GUI-less backend that converts system configuration files into XML,
and vice versa.
1) A front-end, written in C/Glade, which reads and writes XML data.

Using XML (as opposed to a set of custom CORBA interfaces, say) gives us
a lot of flexibility:

1) The configuration data is human-readable and -editable.
2) You can store the XML as a backup, for multiple versions, to keep a
"last known good" version, etc.
3) You can push out the XML to multiple machines.
4) You can easily replace the front-end independently of the back-end.
So you can write a web interface, Java interface, KDE interface, etc.
5) Since XML is transport-independent, you can plug in alternate
transport mechanisms:  for example, you could serve up the XML over http
and SSL.

At the moment, the front-end execs the backend and reads and writes the
XML data through pipes.

There is one complete tool already in CVS for anyone who's interested:
it configures both DNS and WINS name resolution.

So far, we have divided up the work as follows:

Hans -- name resolution, network configuration.
us (suitware) -- user administration, NFS and Samba mounts/exports, and
printer configuration (including Samba printing).

Walt