Re: [Nautilus-list] Quit/Desktop interaction

Darin Adler wrote:

>     a) If you start Nautilus without any file names or the --desktop option,
> it will create a window pointing at your home directory.
>     b) If you start Nautilus with the --desktop option, it will create the
> desktop window. I assume that invoking Nautilus in this way will be part of
> the "normal" startup process on a typical installation, but it's not
> necessary just to use Nautilus.
>     c) If you start Nautilus with a list of URIs or file names, it will
> create a window for each passed URI/file name.
>     d) If you use the Quit menu item in Nautilus, it closes all the windows,
> not including the desktop, and exits the nautilus process if there is no
> desktop window.
>     e) We add a menu item to the desktop right-click window that
> relinquishes the desktop, and exits the nautilus process if there are no
> other Nautilus windows.
>
> Some design questions:
>
>     1) What should the name of the "get rid of desktop" menu item? Do we
> need an item like this right there in the right-click menu or should it be
> elsewhere?

"Return to regularly scheduled program"?   "Return to X windows system"?  Or,
from your wording above "Relinquish desktop".

I think the right-click menu may presume that this is a somewhat
frequently-chosen option, but then I haven't seen what else is in the pop-up.

>     2) Better name for the --desktop option?

Perhaps a verb should be involved:
--become-desktop...--start-desktop...--present-desktop...--control-desktop.

Matthew Barker       mbar engr sgi com   650.933.6576
Member, Technical Staff
Broadband Internet Engineering, SGI