Re: [Nautilus-list] X 4.0.2 and the Render Extension

Ross Burton wrote:

> Now that XFree86 4.0.2 is out which includes the Render extension
> allowing anti-aliases text and images to be drawn, and GTK is currently
> working towards using this extension if it is available, does Nautilus
> need to do lots of it's own anti-aliasing?  Surely much of the code can
> be ripped out and left to GTK to do?
>
> If any anti-aliasing/alpha etc is done using the Render extension, then
> the graphics card gets to help out (which I like as I had a nVidia TNT
> which is supported in that department).
>
> Or am I missing the point?
>
> Ross

GTK+ hackers are already working on this.   So yes, you are right in
theory.   Unfortunately, it will take a while for this extensions to be
pervasive.  It most definitely wont happen for Nautilus 1.0.

It is however a very exciting development in X and Nautilus will greatly
benefit from it.

-re