Re: [Nautilus-list] File types

Hayden James <hjames stevens-tech edu> writes:

> Is nautilus going to be able to recognize file types better then gmc?
> Lets say I have a text file called "blah" without any extension.  if I
> double click on it with gmc it would not know to open some text file
> viewer.  Will nautilus be able to determine the file type without it
> having extension?

That's what we plan. Nautilus will primarily use "magic number"
detection to figure out file types, using extensions only as a
fallback. It may not yet be perfect; if some file of yours gets
misidentified, please file a bug report at bugzilla.eazel.com,
preferrably including the file, what nautilus identified it as, and
what you thought it should be.

 - Maciej