Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: libxml Issues

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:28:29PM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> * Darin Adler (darin eazel com) wrote at 14:21 on 03/08/00:
> > This creates a real problem for us. We need to be able to compile many
> > different modules in the same prefix. So unless there is an irresistible
> > reason not to, this problem would be enough reason for us to switch to
> > libxml2 as part of our GNOME 2.0 changes rather than doing it before then.
>
> Well - I am the one who actually brought up this issue with DV in a private
> email. I was in the process of debugging gnome-db2html2, and was mailing him
> about the bugs that I found. Most of his responses were 'Known issue. Upgrade
> to libxml2' and then I explained to him that I can not.
>
> There will be issues with the 'help' stuff if this is not fixed. For example,
> I have the '%' symbol in one of my docs. libxml1 goes crazy on it and spews
> out incomprehensible data (and this is rendered to the user).

  Well, it seems there is no way I will be able people to upgrade.
As I pointed out during Miguel OLS talk, we may have improved a few
thing compared to Windows, but the real painful problem of managing
pools of shared libraries *is not solved* !
  And each time people select solution based on sharing of libraries
instead of a fork/exec solution they just increase the problem by
disallowing use of different level of shared libs in the final "program".
This may gain some speed, but also bind all the subparts in a single
processus space with all the known problem this can raise, and shared
deps is becomming one of the most significant one IMHO.
  I have no solution to this, I would just like to raise the flag
and be sure that when people opt for binding a new service by using
a shared library they realize the associated problems.

  For now it seems I have no choice but fixing and trying to cope
with libxml version 1 bugs until the end of the year. This is no fun.
Ali please submit sample examples exposing the bugs, I will try to fix
them,

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW