Re: [Nautilus-list] Suggestion.

OK, I'm no Nautilus guru, just interesed in the future of GNOME2, but
here are my 2c:

Tony L wrote:

> I'm attaching a program that I was working on for MacOS 8.6/9.0.
> It's a file manager much like the NeXT browser.
> It's based on parts of Greg's Browser, Simple Browser and the MacOS X
> Finder.
> I don't have a working copy since it is still in heavy development.
> But the picture is of what I want it to be idealy.
> I think that UNIX really really really needs a NeXT browser type of thing.
> I also know it is not that hard to do especially on UNIX systems.
> I like the idea of having many directories/folders in one window, it's much
> more effecient and saves the proc and mem a lot of work.

Yeah, I agree, but as far as I know, Nautilus is built with something
called "Views", so anybody can write soemthing like a "plug-in" that
configures the way it looks. (Gurus - correct me).

> Also. I don't know how far you are with Favourites/Bookmarks but they are
> definantly a must.  As well as the History/Go menu/option.

Yeah, MSIE for Windows (never saw the Mac version, saw the Win version
at a friend), got a very cool history thing, but from what I saw from
the screenshots (nautilus.eazel.com/) Nautilus got a very similiar
history system.

> On a more technical note; I know that GTK has a tab widget that would be a
> lot better than the gray tabs you have right now. I don't know if you have
> seen Internet Exporer 5.0 for MacOS but it has one of the best tab systems
> ever. If you don't like that one please, I beg of you check out Evolution in
> CVS. It has a very awesome way of organizing stuff. The code is open source
> so you can take use what you need.
>
> I was also wondering if you were going to use GTKHTML to make a light-weight
> web browser part of the Nautilus. That would be very useful.

Yeah, this is implemented as a view as well.

> One more question... Will you be using XML at all for anything?

Yeah, everything is using GConf (afaik), and GConf (check
developer.gnome.org, the previous feature I think), uses plugable
"back-ends" for creating something like the Windows registry, but by far
more powerfull and stuff, and the only back-end available so far is an
XML one.
So all of the configuration and (not sure) meta-data will be saved in
XML.

--
Best regads,
	David Tabachnikov (NetHunter)