Re: [Muine] mockups

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 21:04 +0100, Joachim Beckers wrote:
> I've put up some mockups of how I see a better menu system for Muine.
> See this blogpost:
> http://jbeckers.webhop.org/nl/2006/02/muine-voor-een-keer-eens-niet-in-het.html

The chapter on menus in the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines may be of
interest:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus.html

The HIG places a very high value on consistency, both within an
application and across different applications, and this is also my
biggest gripe with many of the recent proposals. Some of the issues:

- The Muine menu: the first menu item should either be a File menu if
applicable, otherwise it should be named after the object which the
application operates on (in this case Playlist).

- Help/About: the About item should always be placed on the Help menu.
Besides, Muine will hopefully get a Help item later on, which would have
to be placed in a Help menu.

- Play item: play is basically an operation on a song, and should be
placed in the Song menu. Besides, separating the Play item from the
Next/Prev and related items seems somewhat confusing and impractical.

- Playlist/Add Song|Album: menu items and toolbar buttons should always
have the same names - either change to Play Song/Album on the menu, or
Add Song/Album on the toolbar.

- Playlist order: items should be ordered by task order or expected
frequency of use - I'd say Open/Save should be moved further down,
possibly to after Add Song/Album, or the bottom of the menu.

Sorry for being a party-pooper ;p

--
Erik Grinaker <erikg codepoet no>
http://erikg.codepoet.no/