Re: [Muine] A few suggestions

Hi again,

and sorry for the delay...

Am Freitag, den 18.02.2005, 22:33 +0200 schrieb Jorn Baayen:
> While it's not common for users to hit play twice I think it's quite
> > common for them to want to start playing something and to then to select
> > other items to play later (using "Queue").
>
> The main reason why the behaviour is as it is, is because many people
> (including myself) often just want to play something, hit 's', type a
> part of the name of the song and hit return. But then again, one could
> argue the same thing for queueing, so I guess I'll give in and change
> the behaviour.

Perhaps there could be shortcuts for select-and-close-window like in
Nautilus (e.g. middle-click or shift-<Enter>).

[...]
> > > One tiny improvement - I guess - would be moving the "By artist" thing
> > > to be under the list, so that things would line up a bit better.
> >
> > I personally don't see a problem with the current alignment.  Given that
> > the browser-selection and the button row are two separate entities I'd
> > even say that aligning both of them would be misleading and therefore
> > counter-productive.
>
> The thing is that right now it is not very clear that the left list will
> filter the right list. They look like two very separate things. I think
> it might be a bit more clear if they begin at least at the same hight
> vertically.

Ah ok, this is what you mean.  I still think that the placement in my
mockups is better because

  a) *both* the drop-down and the list on the left filter the list on
the right, and

  b) placing the drop-down before the (left-hand) list makes more sense
since it is used logically before it (i.e.: first you select the type of
selection, then you select items from the list).

> > > Some brainstorming for alternatives:
> > > - Using a combo box instead of the list. Or a combo box-like thing,
> > > popping down a scrollable list.
> >
> > I wouldn't like this because it would make the browser much more
> > cumbersome to use.
>
> True. Maybe we should work with an expander widget right under the
> search entry? On expand it would show a combo showing what to list, and
> a list of artists/genres/whatever. Of course we would remember the
> state, whether the dialog is expanded or not.

You mean like a show-/hide-toggle for the browser?  If so it might be
worth a try even though it has the negative side-effect of making the
dialog as a whole more complex (at least in the expanded state).

Regards,
Lars