Re: [Muine] A few suggestions

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 01:04 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> I don't think we should start playing when the user presses "queue".. i
> mean, queue != play.

I knew you were going to say that ;)

I agree that the terminology isn't quite right, but I think the behavior
would be nice.  This is actually similar to what the Totem playlist
does.  If your playlist is empty and you click "Add", it immediately
starts playing the new item.  Subsequent "Add"s append the file to the
playlist.

I see two use cases based on my personal usage of Muine:

1. User wants to hear one particular album/song now.
This is like "Play" where they have one album or song that they want to
hear.  They open the dialog, choose it and the dialog should immediately
close.

2. User wants to add several albums/songs to their playlist.
This is like "Queue".  The user wants to be able to add multiple albums
to their playlist, so they don't want the dialog to close immediately.
However, I think that in this situation, they probably still want to
actually be listening to music, so if their playlist is empty, or
they've reached the end, the first album/song selected can start playing
immediately and subsequent selections are added to the end.

--

I actually think that making Play not close the window is worse than how
it was before, since there's no longer a way to quickly start playing

However, I really like being able to just go up to the panel icon and
Click-Drag to "Play Album" > Scroll a bit > double click > done

Breaking this simple flow where users just want to play an album seems
much worse to me.

--
Matthew Good <muine matt-good net>