Re: [Muine] Groups and the main UI

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 15:01, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Muine is currently missing random playback & grouping features. I had
> the following idea to solve this:
>
> We allow the user to group music together. Manually, and we could also
> automatically generate groups based on genre information (or create
> groups for "orphan" songs (ie no album), "never played", etc). We then
> allow the user to select multiple groups to be played back from. Muine
> will then make sure that there are always, say, 10 songs left to be
> played in the playlist (so that the user can see what is played next,
> and remove any songs he/she isn't feeling like hearing right now). These
> songs will be randomly chosen from the selected groups.
>
> We can integrate some nifty statistics here, to make the random song
> picking code favour songs that are played more manually, and favour
> songs that are skipped or whatever less.
>
> There is one other idea regarding random playback that I find very
> interesting, but that does not directly fit into this model: Playing
> random albums, like the iPod apparently does.
>
> The other problem is how to integrate this into the main UI. I did some
> glading, but I am not happy with the result - it looks messy:
> http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Muine/groups.png

Maybe making it a popup? Accessed via the menu like the seekbar? Or
maybe just a menu item, with a submenu that's populated with existing
groups. I imagine that I'd only want to randomly fill my playlist once,
then let the player play. The main UI doesn't need to have that feature
in it. Once the random songs are added, the user would never need to add
more (or rarely need to add more).