[mlview-list] MlView development news

Hello,

There have been a lot of code activity around the MlView 0.9 codeline lately.

Philippe Mechaï has pushed a lot of code to provide the application with a
graphical preferences editor, yay ! He has also started to re-work the preferences
management.

We have started to re-work the way we manages the different views today.
This view system rework is mostly to prepare some major changes to come, like switching
to the Gnome Development Library (GDL) for the support of Dockable windows for the views.

Hmmh, you should join me in asking Philippe to send all his screenshots
to the list :-)

A presentation of the view system is available at:
http://dodji.seketeli.free.fr/mlview/docs/view-system.txt. That doc is also available
in the docs/ directory of the source tarball.
Okay, it is far from being complete, but well, it's better than nothing, and I accept patches
for the documentation too :-) In case you still don't know, the MlView project is looking for
contributors :-)

I have started to integrate the old mlview xml nodes clipboard with the native
X clipboard. Now, when you copy/cut/ nodes from mlview, other apps can
consume these nodes in a serialized form. The converse is also true. This only
works from the tree view right now, but I'll make it available from the source view soonish.

Nicolas Centa is also busy porting his work on the plugins system to the 0.9 codeline.

Yay, this is what I call the "summer effect". Lots of bits are getting in.

In my quest of getting more feedback from users, I propose that we switch to the odd/even release
scheme again. The 0.9.xx versions will then be flagged as "unstable development releases", whereas
the coming 0.10.0 will be flagged as "stable". Stable only means that nothing but bugfixes will
be added to that branch.

So, now that you are warned now that 0.9.0 will be a "highly unstable development release", I think
I'll be pushing a tarball out soonish too :-) .

Oh, I forgot, I have pushed all the patches of  mlview--main--0.9 in the CVS. Feel free
to test it and send feedback.

Cheers,

Dodji.