Re: wine's fullscreen code has no effect on metacity

On 7/6/06, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry codeweavers com> wrote:
From http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html

"_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN indicates that the window should fill the entire
screen and have no window decorations. Additionally the Window Manager is
responsible for restoring the original geometry after a switch from fullscreen
back to normal window."

As I understand the above quote it's the WM's responsibility on application's
request to remove window decorations and resize a window to fill the screen,
then restore its previous state when switching from a fullscreen state.

Yes, if it ever switches to a fullscreen state.

So, all the checks metacity does for window decorations and window size are
contradicting the spec IMO.

No, the window would have to be in the fullscreen state in order for
checks on window decorations or window size to even have the
possibility of breaking the spec.  Those checks in src/stack.c were
basically meant as a workaround to help legacy applications who don't
correctly put themselves into fullscreen mode still get into that
mode.  Yes, the checks appeared buggy (and we will fix them if I can
find some time to verify), but it shouldn't adversely affect any well
behaving application.

Also the fact that a window isn't resizeable means only that it's not supposed
to be resizeable by a user, still allowing to resize it programmatically.

Feel free to point to anywhere in the ICCCM or EWMH that says so.  Of
course apps can be resized programmatically -- because the
not-resizable hints can be modified programmatically.  I disagree with
allowing the app or other utilities to modify the size of an
unresizable window unless the unresizable'ness is first modified.

My $0.02,
Elijah