newbie question: memprof hangs when generating leak report

I am trying to get started with memprof and am
having the following problem. I compile a
trivial C++ program with a memory leak and run
memprof on it. When I click the "Leaks" toolbar
item or the "Generate Leak Report" menu item,
memprof spits out some warnings about not being
able to open a file in /proc, and then hangs.
All I can do is close the memprof window, and
I don't get any output.

Exact warning message:

** (memprof:16597): WARNING **: Can't open
/proc/16604/stat

It is not a permission issue, because /proc/16597
exists, but not /proc/16604.

memprof: 0.5.1 (also happens with 0.5.0)
OS:      Red Hat 8.0
Kernel:  2.4.18-14
GCC:     3.2

Any help greatly appreciated.