[bug #15809] external editor does not write changes on remote file systems

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: 4.6.1
        Platform Version: GNU/Linux

Details:

Editing text files on remote file systems using the system editor (vim), not
the built in one, does not work as expected.

The buffer with a temporary file is opened and changed, but not written to
target leaving with ":wq" . This is tested on my ubuntu box for ftp and
fish.

to get the effect do the following steps:

if not already done prepare mc not to use built in editor.
On an sshd running system establish a conection with:

1. cd #sh:localhost:
2. browse to an known file and open editor by pressing <F4>
3. do some edit
4. save an leave (use ":wq" on vim)

Editor is quitting without error.

now the file should be changed

refresh window by <ctrl+r>

use <F3> to prove ==> file is _not_ changed an no error was given.

This behavior was also confirmed by other users on german ubuntu list. For
example here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.german/3618

"can reproduce on breezy"

And a different Editor (nvi) set on /etc/alternatives/vi set on my box

Info:
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, smbfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support

Package:
Version: 1:4.6.1-1ubuntu2~breezy1

VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3 (2004 June 7, compiled Aug 22 2005 17:27:07) Version:
1:6.3-078+1ubuntu3

Friedrich

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15809>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah