Re: [patch] new pty allocation strategy for BSD

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Roland Illig wrote:

> subshell.c currently contains hard-coded values for the available pty
> names. These names do not match with the ptys that can be found on
> actual systems. NetBSD 3.0 has ptyp[0-9A-Za-z], as well as
> pty[qrs][0-9A-Za-z], so mc can only use 64 of the 100 available ptys.
>
> There may be similar issues on other systems, I haven't checked.
>
> The appended patch just scans through the /dev/ directory, looking for
> anything that matches /^pty..$/.

The first part of the patch really doesn't have much to do with the
problem you are trying to solve. As for the second part NetBSD 3.0
has posix_openpt() so MC should use it. I don't think that scanning the
/dev directory makes sense - it's an overkill. Modern platforms  have
other means for acquiring pseudo terminals. Just my $0.02.