[bug #17268] Shift+Enter weirdness

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: current (CVS or snapshot)
        Operating System: GNU/Linux

Details:

In various mc input boxes, Shift+Enter puts a dot which will later behave as
a literal newline. E.g. if you rename a file and you press Shift+Enter while
typing the new name, the new file name will contain a newline.

This might be a nice feature, but I don't know if anyone needs it. However, I
found that I sometimes accidentally press Shift+Enter when I only want to
press Enter. (The file name ends with an uppercase letter, hence I press
Enter, and I release it too late.)

When typing a command, the resulted command line will be parsed only up to
this symbol, the rest is ignored. E.g. if you type the command "echo a.b"
where that dot appeared by pressing Shift+Enter, you'll only see "a" echoed
back.

With the well-known UTF-8 patches, Shift+Enter behaves very strange. It moves
the cursor to the left(!). You can erase this special symbol by immediately
pressing Backspace (the cursor moves back to the right). However, if you use
the left and right arrow keys when such a strange symbol is present in the
line, you'll be no longer be able to remove it by backspace or delete, the
input line will go completely crazy. Most likely it's a bug in the UTF-8
patches, but I didn't track it down.

Attached is a patch which turns Shift+Enter simply equivalent to Enter,
losing the possibility to type a literal Enter into input boxes, but make
things work as it's IMHO expected. In the mean time an unnecessary check is
removed where Shift+Backspace is handled in a similar way. You may or may not
like this patch, I let you decide it.

File Attachments:

Date: Wednesday 08/02/2006 at 12:29  Name: mc-shift-enter-is-enter.patch
Size: 995B   By: egmont
let Shift+Enter behave as a normal Enter
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=10453>

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=17268>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/