Re: make distcheck warnings

Hello, Leonard!

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 22:42 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> make distcheck reports the following warnings:
>
> msgmerge: ta.po: warning: Charset "TSCII" is not a portable encoding
> name.
> /usr/bin/msgfmt: ta.po: warning: Charset "TSCII" is not a portable
> encoding name.

We cannot fix it in mc.  It was discussed many times.  Google for "mc
TSCII".

TSCII is not standard, but it's actually used.  Either TSCII should be
standardized, or Unicode should be used.  If I remember correctly, there
are some problems with Tamil support in Unicode.  Maybe the consoles
fonts is not so good.  I don't think we should pressure Tamil users to
follow standards if they don't have good Unicode fonts.

> configure: WARNING: Rejecting S-Lang with UTF-8 support, it's not fully
> supported yet
> ../../intl/intl-compat.c:24:1: warning: "_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS"
> redefined
> ../config.h:644:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
> definition

The redefinition of _INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS is fixed in 0.14.3 (it might
have been fixed much earlier).

The problem with redirection was reported on Darwin, where
__USER_LABEL_PREFIX__ wasn't defined.  The problem was fixed in gettext
immediately after 0.11.5.  Since mc supported older versions of gettext,
a workaround was provided.

I also noticed that the test used in mc was incorrect - it used nested
functions instead of global functions used by gettext.  I fixed that
initially.

But then I settled for a better approach - mc is using gettext 0.14.3
now, and MC_ASM_LABELS is gone.

I chose version 0.14.3 was chosen because Fedora Core 4 supplies it.  It
should be old enough for the core developers to have it, and new enough
to have most bugs fixed.

> ../config.h:641:1: warning: "_GNU_SOURCE" redefined
> ../../intl/loadmsgcat.c:23:1: warning: this is the location of the
> previous definition

This is fixed by using AC_GNU_SOURCE.  Since it appeared in Autoconf
2.54, configure.ac requires it now.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin