Re: CVS Ids in source files

Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 23:02 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:

I would like to include a declaration like the following into every
.c file.

static const char mc_cvsid[] = "$Id";

Please don't do it. CVS doesn't handle it properly.

It can cause conflicts when merging branches.

That might be. I don't have much experience using CVS branches.

Also, the Id in CVS is rather meaningless.

No, it isn't. It shows the current revision of each file.

Every file has its own revision.

That's exactly what I want. Suppose someone updates mc from CVS, then waits a week, then updates only the src/ directory and then compiles mc.

There is no single revision for the tree.

With a single revision for the tree, you cannot detect the above scenario.

There is no way to find the branch the file Id.

There is. Take the $Revision$ and run "cvs log" to check out which symbolic name corresponds to the Revision.

In fact, CVS doesn't seem to have any keyword that would indicate the
branch.

No, it does that with the $Revision$ number.

Roland