[bug #13750] restoring xterm window title on exit wanted

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: current (CVS or snapshot)
        Platform Version: All

Details:

another one that has been discussed to death already ...

the first candidate for obtaining the xterm title is the xterm title query
sequence. at startup the query command should be sent and things should
continue as usual. the reply should be handled asynchronously as part of the
normal input stream. that effectively means, that at the time the old title is
received, a new one has been set already long ago - who cares? on the xterm
side the processing is done in-order, so we'll always get the correct title.
one remaining case is mc exiting before the report arrives, but anybody
quitting mc after no more than 5 seconds should be shot anyway. :)

hoooow-ever ... the xterm title query sequence has been classified a
first-class security hole of the calibre of ansi bombs, so many sites don't
support it any more. so we need a plan b in case we don't get a reply to our
query within a few (3-5?) seconds.
the answer is once again pretending to be an x application: connecting to
$DISPLAY and asking the server for $WINDOWID's title.
note that this variant should be a fallback only: it is doomed to failure on
remote machines if no (x forwarding)/(env var setup) is done. it's sorta
unclean, too.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13750>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/