Re: Restoring the functionality of Alt-o

Hello Miguel,

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 23:40 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     A long time ago I added Alt-o as a binding that would help in
> navigating directories.  The idea is that in one panel you press Alt-o,
> and if the selection is on a directory, it will load the contents of the
> highlighted directory into the other panel.  If no directory was
> selected, this was a no-op.
>
>     At some point this behavior was removed from mc, and now instead it
> just loads the current directory on the other panel, which is not very
> useful for navigating anything.
>
>     I remember having this discussion with Pavel but I forget the
> rationale for it.  I would like to get this change reverted in CVS.  Any
> objections?

The old behavior of Alt-o seems helpful to me, but still many users use
the new Alt-o to sync contents within both panels, what is also fine.

Let me propose some possibilities:

1) Revert Alt-o -> annoyed users because Alt-o suddenly changes.

2) Create an alternate keyboard shortcut such as Alt-i that acts like
the old Alt-o.

3) Keep Alt-o shortcut and switch between old/new Alt-o in
Options/Configuration.

Personally I vote for 2) because mc won't lose any of its functionality
and it won't need too much work IMHO.

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy redhat com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/