Re: [patch] xterm title bar fix

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 04:51:20PM +0100, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:

> there is a small annoying issue with the xterm title setting. As xterm
> (original XFree) honors also the setting of the charset, the title
> sometimes displays garbage, because the charset remained set to line
> drawing characters. A simple way to reproduce this bug is pressing F9
> ESC ESC.

If drop down menus are disabled (which is the default), the way to reproduce
it is F9 Downarrow ESC ESC. Reproduces the bug for me both under xterm
(X.Org 6.8.1) and gnome-terminal (vte 0.11.11), but konsole seems to have a
workaround for this case.

> The attached patch fixes the issue for mc compiled with Slang, by using
> Slang text output functions instead of fprintf. I don't know how to fix
> this in ncurses version, if it is affected at all. Note that putting
> additional \17 to printf string alone doesn't help because slang isn't
> aware of such charset change, so it sometimes prints frames using
> letters instead.

So far I've been using my stupid "\17" workaround and while it fixes the
original bug, sometimes I really noticed letters being printed instead of
line drawing characters as mentioned above. I can't reproduce this so I
can't test this one but I believe that it's now also gone by Jindrich's
patch, which, of course, is anyway surely a good fix for the title bar bug.

So please apply that patch.

--
Egmont