[bug #5142] mc's built-in samba library is out of date

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #5142 (project mc):

We'll have this problem as long as mc uses Samba configuration files.  Every
time Samba changes the format of its configuration files, mc will have to be
upgraded (not just recompiled).

I see two solutions:

1) Use libsmbclient.  This way, upgrading Samba will upgrade the client
library, and mc will recognize new configuration.

2) Don't use Samba configuration files in mc.  Use a separate configuration
file or store all configuration in ~/.mc/ini

I would prefer that we at least try to use libsmbclient, and if it doesn't
work, let's report it to Samba maintainers.  This way, libsmbclient will be
ready for mc some day.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=5142>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/