Re: shell scripting advise: Don't use backslashes inside backtick quotes

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> >>really old shells will explode on your current version, too, but we
> >>really needn't to consider those.
>
> Why? Because of possible backslashes?

they do some interpretation of the expanded variables. iirc, backticks
were a problem, so i suppose backslashes might have been, too. bash1 did
this and i suppose other equally old shell did.
posix certainly does not contradict this behavior (usually they avoid
specifying something that was totally braindamaged in some particular
implementation), but i think we can still rely on sane behavior in any
halfways modern shell.