Tilde expansion: When did it break?

Hi,

One of the two remaining items on the TODO list concerns tilde expansion
in the copy and move dialog. Currently, when one copies or moves a file
to ~ using the copy or move dialog the resulting file will be literally
named "~". This used to work just fine in 4.6.0, so I am wondering when
this breakage was introduced.

I suspect this entry in vfs/Changelog might be involved:
2003-09-23  Pavel Roskin  <proski gnu org>

	* vfs.c (vfs_canon): Remove tilde expansion.  mc_chdir() should
	act like chdir() of localfs, which doesn't expand tilde.
	Reported by Doncho Gunchev <mr700 globalnet bg>

src/cmd.c: copy_cmd() & ren_cmd() call
src/file.c: panel_operate() calls
vfs/vfs.c: mc_chdir() calls
vfs/vfs.c: vfs_canon()

If tilde expansion in vfs_canon() is unwanted I guess the function
panel_operate() should be fixed to handle the tilde expansion in case of
a copy or a move. Is this assumption correct?

Leonard.