Re: Error

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 21:00, brent websitewatchers co uk wrote:
> > ?.(????????Vo????????z?ne???'?t??Bx?|?pd?????l??-7???9b?(pp?U,gN?_??]?!"}t?
>     I love windows viruses ;) huh...
>     ... maybe all mail servers should stop accepting messages with
> windows executable files directly attached (all .exe .com .vxd .pif
> and so on, not archives with such files).

I'm sorry for this incident.  This mailing list has received hundreds of
infected e-mails in the last two days.  They all go to the moderation
queue and have to be removed manually.

I don't know why this particular message slipped through.  I have a virus
filter on my personal e-mail, so I didn't get that message.
brent websitewatchers co uk is not subscribed to the list.  Maybe the
virus was using a subscribed address in some other field, such as the
envelope address.

I have lowered the maximum message size to 20k temporarily. This should
prevent further incidents of this kind.  Once the virus attack stops, the
limit will be increased back to 40k.

As for your suggestion, it should be sent to gnome-sysadmin gnome org
Blocking of attachments cannot be done in Mailman because it only checks
the headers of the message, not its body.

I know that gnome.org sysadmins are going to upgrade Mailman to version
2.1.4.  This would help with moderation, but I don't think even Mailman
2.1.4 can discard or reject messages with attachments.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin