Re: Version 4.6.0 crashing on HP-UX 11i with glib 1.2.10

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Ali Akcaagac wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 16:59, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:
> > Why did you send core file (800 KB !) without first asking if
> > we need it and without gzipping it ?
>
> The question is, how can an 800kb file pass the 40kb filelimit of the
> mailinglist. It requires moderation to pass these files.

Indeed.  I'm sorry for that.

As it stands now, mc-devel gets about 40 virus bounces and reports a day.
They all are held in the moderation queue.  It takes a lot of time to
remove them.

There are occasional legitimate messages from unsubscribed users.  When
Mailman (the mailing list software) shows them in the queue, it also gives
a reason for rejection.  It shows only one reason, not all of them.

When a message comes from an unsubscribed user and it exceeds the allowed
size, I only see the first reason.  Mailman shows only the beginning of
the message, so it's not immediately obvious that the message is huge. It
can be seen from the headers, but my first concern is not to discard
legitimate mail in the flood of garbage, so I'm not always paying
attention to details.

It happened in the past already.  If I had control over the Mailman
installation, this problem would have been fixed already.  I have asked
the gnome.org sysadmins to upgrade Mailmen to the latest version, which
has a much superior moderation queue, but they don't want to do it.

I'll try to be more careful in the future.  Sorry for inconvenience.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin